Monday, August 31, 2026

Division or Unity

“If Satan is divided against himself, how can his kingdom stand? Now if I drive out demons by Beelzebub, by whom do your followers drive them out?”
Luke 11:18-19 (NIV)

Jesus had driven a demon that could not speak out of a man. The man, now free, began to speak and the crowd was amazed, but not everyone. Some accused Jesus of driving out demons by the power of a more powerful demon identified as Beelzebub, the prince of demons. Still others demanded a sign from heaven. In my opinion Heaven and Hell don’t usually mix well.

Jesus, as usual, calls them out on their lack of understanding. First He tells them, “Any kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and a house divided against itself will fall” (Luke 11:17). Then here comes His questions. The first question is how can Satan’s kingdom stand if Satan is divided against himself? Satan, you would assume, would be piling on the demons rather than driving them out. Then Jesus asks the bigger question (in my opinion). Jesus looks the skeptics and accusers straight in the eyes and asks, “If I drive out demons by Beelzebub, by whom do your followers drive them out?” The response? Crickets.

I remember a time when I was young. I overheard some grown-ups talking about how there was a possibility that the United States could fall, without a shot fired or a war being fought. Those grown-ups said our nation could fall because of division from within. From the people being divided rather than unified, and that the division would lead to people not holding the government accountable for its actions.

Jesus prayed that His people would be one. That their unity and how they lived because of Jesus, would point others to the grace of God. In fact, in John we read: “I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one – I in them and you in me – so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that You sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me” (John 17:22-23). Satan’s kingdom is falling and the Kingdom of God is advancing, growing quickly in some parts of our world and slowly in other parts, but growing and drawing closer every day

God’s kingdom is a kingdom founded on love, mercy and grace. It is a kingdom built on unity with the King and the people of the kingdom. It is a Kingdom where God’s justice and peace take precedence. Remember Jesus came to set the captives free, to bring healing to those who needed healing, to make sure those on the fringes were cared for, and to ultimately make everything new.

Can the division we see in our nation bring about the fall of the nation? Perhaps. I am certain, however, that the arrival of The Kingdom in all its glorious perfection will bring about the fall of every earthly kingdom.

The question is, will we allow ourselves to be caught in the trap of division or will we stand on the rock who is Jesus and the unity He brings. I want to encourage you to stand strong in the faith, to be an obedient citizen of the Kingdom that is both here now and still coming, to love God and love others. Find common ground with those around you and remember we are all made in His image.

Let me know your thoughts. Know someone who might be encouraged by this – please share. I will be praying for you. Until next week – will you work toward unity?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Joy in the Finding

“Does he not leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? Does she not light a lamp, sweep the h...