Wednesday, July 22, 2026

The Golden Rule

“If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? … And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? …. And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you?”
Luke 6:32a, 33a & 34a (NIV)

I never fail to be amazed at how relevant the Word of God is to the times we live in. We are living in a time of division, so I believe it is important for us to see what Jesus has to say about how we should treat others. Luke is providing an overview so to speak of portions of Jesus’ sermon on the mount and in Jesus’ often used style He asks and answers some questions as He speaks.

In the lead up to the questions, Jesus essentially says: Those of you who are really listening to what I am saying, really hearing and understanding me – “Love your enemies… (Luke 6:27). Do good to them, bless them, pray for them, don’t hit back, give them the shirt off your back if necessary, be generous without expectations of getting it back and here’s the big one “Do to others as you would have them do to you” (Luke 6:28-31, paraphrased).

Jesus asks the crowd – what do you gain if… you love those who love you, do good for those who do good for you, lend only to people you know will pay it back? His answer should make us all sit up, take notice and spend some time in self-reflection. Jesus’ answer to His questions is – You don’t gain anything, even sinners do that (Luke 6: 32b, 33b & 34b). How are we doing as the hands and feet of Jesus?

As followers of Jesus we are meant to look and act differently to the world around us. We are meant to swim against the current of culture, while drawing attention to Jesus as we go. There is a common phrase, used by many not just in the United States but around the world, perhaps you’ve heard it said, “for God and Country” - note God comes first and then country.

I know I am not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but I do try to be obedient to Jesus’ command to love God and love Others – that’s the simplest explanation of Christian living. What kinds of things get in the way of that for me? This is going to sound harsh, people who exploit the kindness of others, people who pick political affiliation over the character of the candidate, people who make a show of being a Christian, rather than acting like Christ. Unfortunately, I probably fall into those categories myself sometimes – and when I do, I ask God to change my heart.

What about you? Have you lost friends, have a divided family, find yourself angry or afraid a lot of time because of these kinds of issues and all sorts of others. Jesus calls us to love above all else, to walk in unity with our fellow believers because we are all meant to be one with Christ, who is the KING of kings and who is making us and everything else new. Let’s depend more on Him than on the things of this world. 

Let me know your thoughts. Know someone who might be encouraged by this – please share. I will be praying for you. Until next week – remember to Love God and love others, because they are human like you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jesus Notices and Knows

“Now which of them will love him more? …Do you see this woman?” Luke 7:42 & 44 (NIV) Jesus is invited to dinner at Simon the Pharisee’s...