“Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do what I say?”
Luke 6:46 (NIV)
I don’t know how many times I read or heard the parable of the wise and foolish builders – lots for sure. So how come it wasn’t until just now that I discovered that the parable actually starts with a question?
It’s another, if you are really listening and doing story. Jesus starts with a question, and it’s one of those times when I wish I could hear the tone of His voice to understand better. Was He a little frustrated with the people He was speaking to? Was He just tired of trying to get people to understand when He asks, “Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do what I say? You see, typically lords were authority figures and when they told you to do something, they expected it to get done. In the sequence Luke shares, Jesus had just finished using the get the plank out of your own eye to talk about not judging others. He had also talked about fruit and what’s stored up in the human heart, is what comes out – good or evil.
Now Jesus is like – don’t call me Lord if you’re not going to listen and do what I say. He goes on to explain how those who listen are like a wise builder – building a house on a solid foundation, but that’s only one side of the metaphorical coin. Jesus continues by explaining that those who are only playing at being His followers are like a foolish builder – building a house on unstable ground. In both cases, He is talking about who or what we chose to trust in. Trusting Him is like building on a solid foundation that will allow us to stand secure when the storms of life hit. The alternative, well it’s a faith built on self, or the government, or a job or whatever and the result when a storm hits, can be catastrophic.
When I read the entirety of the parable associated with the question. A couple of things came to mind – songs and Psalms. Songs like the great old hymn by Edward Mote On Christ, The Solid Rock I Stand, or Always by Gateway Worship with the catchy chorus that goes “I’m standing on the rock, the rock of ages, holding to the hope that’s never failing…” What about Firm Foundation by Maverick City Music and My Feet Are on the Rock by I Am They. Then, get your Bibles out and check out: Psalm 18, 19, 27 and 40 just to name a few that talk about God being the Rock. But you know what I didn’t find? A song about calling Him Lord and not doing what He says.
Lucky for us Jesus doesn’t expect perfection, He just expects those who call Him Lord to do our best to follow his instructions. Instructions that help us build our lives on a solid foundation. A faith foundation that allows our lives to be a witness for His work, lives that point others to Him.
Listen for His voice, then let your response to His call be obedience, and let that obedience be one of the ways you worship Him every day, even when the storms of life hit.
Let me know your thoughts. Know someone who might be encouraged by this – please share. I will be praying for you. Until next week – remember obedience to the Lord, helps you live on a firm foundation, so be a wise builder.
Monday, July 27, 2026
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Joy in the Finding
“Does he not leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? Does she not light a lamp, sweep the h...
-
“If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people...
-
“Jesus replied, ‘Do wedding guests mourn while celebrating with the groom?’” Matthew 9:15a (NLT) Quite often Jesus answers a question wit...
-
“Jesus answered them. Have you never read what David did when he and his companions were Hungry? Then Jesus said to them. I ask you, which i...
No comments:
Post a Comment